Thursday, February 3, 2011

Keeping my baggage in check.

I've become an editor, accidentally, and expect, now, a phone call, or email, or facebook message saying "Hi, Esther.... Do you have time?" to read through a new essay every week for a dear friend. My friend's essays and stories are always interesting, always a perspective I haven't known before.

I feel greatly honored that he pays attention to what I recommend, even though most of my recommendations are grammatical. I like being one of the first to read what's going up on his blog this week, and never know what it will be, beforehand. I have trouble with technology - I don't see what I'm supposed to click on - quite frankly, it's amazing that you're reading this; I was lost, unable to see where I was, trying to send Google an SOS when the page opened "post"!

I'm frequently lost, unable to see where I am. Technology, astigmatism, and now a little farsightedness all affect this techno-blindness of mine, to say nothing of the rest of my mind's mysterious workings. I muddle through our ever-more technological world in a bit of a fog - some days it takes a great wind-storm and brilliant sunlight to lift that fog. Some days, it just takes a little help from my friends. It's an elemental part of the title of this blog; I've got a history: delightful, mixed with mediocre to icky. It's important to me to recover my baggage when it gets out of hand, find the best way to pack it back inside so the panties don't come flying out at the least little tweaking. Sometimes, all it takes is a friend asking if I'd be able to read his most recent creation, talking about life in all its seriousness, silliness, or,frequently, a mix.

1 comment:

  1. Having problems with technology is kind of like having problems with mental illness: all of us have them. Some of us have them in larger doses and at different stages in life and they stick out, but we all have them.

    With technology, there are those of us who have problems but can do what we need to do with it and learn a little with each increasing need--and then we have to deal with the people who do not have problems with technology, mostly the ones who create the problems for us and laugh into their techie sleeves as we scramble to catch up to enough knowledge to keep us almost sane.

    Baggage is important technology. Our mothers say we need clean underwear in case we get into an accident. As Bill Cosby points out, if you get in an accident, you are not going to have clean underwear unless you are keeping it in the glove compartment--or our baggage. We must carry it around. It doesn't just keep the things we'd rather not have to deal with; it hides them.

    ReplyDelete